Thursday 12 June 2014

Material Matters: Wood

After trying my hand at making things using paper in unusual and unexpected ways, the next challenge was to take this same approach and apply it to wood.

So I cut up pieces of found wood

And experimented with the idea of making wooden chain links. This is as far as I got, but an interesting idea to explore further....

 I tried carving into it....

 And weaving wire through it...

 And making kinetic pieces....


As well as cutting up a found bit of fence paling. I was most enamoured with the strong direction of the wood grain. And of course, I had to keep the rusty nail.

But I wasn't sure if any of these approaches was exciting enough to explore further. As Triple J comedian the Sandman says 'to be continued'........

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails