Thursday 5 September 2013

Traversing Frontiers Exhibition at Mary E Black Gallery 6 - 22 September 20013





 Wow! Its hard to believe that ten weeks have passed and that I have finished my residency in Halifax.

This past week has been a blur as I have been putting the finishing touches to my artwork. I installed my pieces on Tuesday and the opening night (reception) was on Thursday 5 September 2013. We had a great crowd and it was fascinating to see all 10 participating artist's final work in the gallery.

Pictures from opening night can be viewed here.

For those who have been following the progress of my residency you will know that I have been exploring and researching landscapes, ladies and literature in Nova Scotia. The spoon has become a metaphor for the experiences and strength of pioneering women, symbolising nurturing and referring to the hardships and lack of food the pioneers experienced during the early years of Canada's history.

Below are some images of my final pieces in the show.

Top row: Adrift in a New Land
Canadian red clay, majolica, cobalt
Bottom row: Lost in the Backwoods / Deep stillness of the woods
Canadian red clay, majolica, cobalt, decal, leather, copper pins, found forest wood

Genteel Poverty
Cut and etched antique silver spoons, antique linen  

Nature Vs Nurture
Antique silver spoons, copper wire
Dimensions variable
2013
Gallery installation view
Gallery installation view
For more images of my work and artwork in the exhibition by the ten participating artists click here.

I would also like to extend my thanks to all those who supported my Pozible project who helped to make this opportunity a reality. I have had the most amazing time. Nova Scotia has such gorgeous countryside, rich history and I have met so many fabulous people. 

It really has been a life changing experience!

x




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails