Thursday 27 August 2015

222 Grips for a Stone (7-13)

Ive been progressing slowly this week with the continued exploration of 222 grips for a stone.

222 Grips for a Stone
#8


Im trying to restrict myself to using natural materials and/or objects that have been found in the environment.

#8 was a rusty metal piece I found on the streets of Halifax last winter. Its been sitting on my bench for quite some time as I admired it, but wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with it. And then, I found the perfect stone to fit inside it.


222 Grips for a Stone
#9

I have been wanting to try viking knitting for quite some time. #9 is my first attempt using silver wire. I like how the stone becomes naturally polished from being handled.

222 Grips for a Stone
#10

Similar to viking knitting, #10 is created using a home made knitting nancy constructed from a toilet paper role and some popsicle sticks taped to the sides. 


222 Grips for a Stone
#11

#11 is my favourite from this series. I like the highlight of yellow lichen on the stick. And the shape of the pebble.


222 Grips for a Stone
#13

And I have even started exploring growing crystals in and around wire structures. #13 contains a crystal made from Alum.

Working through these ideas is exciting and each one generates and sparks new ideas that shoot off in different directions. Some I would like to enlarge and turn into sculptures, others I would like to translate into jewellery, whilst some ideas could be reinterpreted into ceramics. 

222 Grips for a Stone is going to be a fascinating adventure of exploration and discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails