Thursday 2 January 2014

Public Art: Curtin Shopping Centre ACT

The Christmas and New Year holidays are always a good time to catch up on all those things I have been meaning to do, but never quite seem to find the time.

I was sorting through some boxes of my art stuff that was packed away before I moved to London (over ten years ago now) and I found images of some of my old artwork. So I have been updating my website.

One of the first projects I embarked upon after graduating from Art School in 1999 was a collaboration with artist, Matthew Harding to create public artworks for the Curtin Shopping Centre, in Canberra, ACT.

stained glass mosaic pedestal 
Canberra is the bush capital of Australia, with corridors of native bush that lead right into the city. Due to this there is an abundance of native wildlife and the variety of birds is simply delightful. This became the theme for the project, and we called it 'Flights of Fancy'.

Honey Eater stained glass mosaic pedestal

Working with images of birds: kookaburra, galah, rosella, blue wren, honey eater to mention a few, we created stained glass benches, designed cast bronze feather inserts into the paving, laser cut and powder coated steel banners, bin surrounds and drain grates, printed textile banners, and hand carved wooden play sculptures.

If you would like to see more visit my website



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails