Thursday 1 August 2013

Nova Scotia Test Pieces

This week we fired the kiln at the studio and it was great to see the results that emerged. Some ideas didnt work as well as others and although I tried a myriad of things, I cant get past blue on white. 

Red earthen ware with delft blue stain with a clear glaze
 We will also be testing some photocopy transfers this coming weekend. This is what they look like before firing. The end result should be a sepia brown image which is integrated with the glaze.

Photocopy transfer with coloured underglaze highlights
Image: sketch of folk artist Maud Lewis's house
Photocopy transfer - image from the Quaker House 
Ive also been continuing carving spoons and here are three that I have completed. Its a bit addictive and Ive also got another two started.

Whittled wooded spoons
displayed on antique linen
Earlier in the week I joined Jana from Swain Street Woodworking, who makes the most beautiful cutting boards by hand, and we checked out the lumber yard. I was so impressed with the variety of woods they had. I choose wood that was local to the area: beech, oak and maple to name a few.


At the tip of the Halifax harbour is Point Pleasant park which has over 39km of nature trails and is a perfect place for a picnic. Whilst walking through earlier this week I saw this most beautiful scene that I had to share with you.



The weather continues to be summery and I have been enjoying all that is on offer on the harbour front. I have tried Cow's, a local ice creamery on PEI (and they have an outlet in Halifax) that is famous for its ice creams. So far I have tried PEI strawberry in a chocolate cone, and the Gooey Mooey which has toffee, chocolate and caramel. mmmmmm.  And there are so many more delicious flavours that I want to try including maple syrup and walnut ..... Ill let you know what they taste like!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails